Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Iron Maiden - Tinley Park, IL - July 5, 2012


#2 
Thursday, July 5, 2012
Iron Maiden
Alice Cooper
Tinley Park, IL

So after spending 24 hours taking what was supposed to be a 12-hour bus trip to Chicago, seeing Magic Mike, drinking a lot of high alcohol beers, and watching illegal fireworks from the air-conditioned comfort of my friends' place, I took the commuter train and a taxi to Tinley Park for the Iron Maiden show. I lucked out and found some nice people on Craigslist who sold me their extra pit ticket for what they paid ($135 with all the fees, and yes, I'm unemployed).

Chicago was in the middle of a heatwave, so it wasn't the greatest day for an outdoor concert. Alice Cooper is 64! He's also a consummate professional, so his set was flawless and included all the giant puppet monsters and gore you would expect. He played all the "hits" and seemed genuinely happy to do so. None of my pictures of Alice really turned out though, at least partially because I got jostled around quite a bit and the pit area was packed. [I didn't know what to expect of this "pit" because I've apparently been spoiled by Merriweather Post]

It was just starting to get dark by the time Iron Maiden came out. Surprisingly people calmed down and I got a few good pics of them throughout the show (while hopefully not being one of those people who blocks everyone else with their damn phone). They played all the songs that I would have wanted to hear (the only other one I would have liked is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, because it's ridiculous). At several points, Bruce wrung out his shirt. They don't appear to have any kind of backstage oxygen tent like Halford, either. Anyway, it was awesome and I can check both Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden off of my list.

July 5, 2012 - Tinley Park - Maiden England

No comments: