Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Gojira - Cleveland - August 20, 2012

#3
Monday, August 20, 2012
Gojira
Carbomb
Dagger Rebellion
Peabody's - Cleveland, OH

I have been in literally every corner of Ohio this summer - Wheeling, Dayton, Toledo, Cleveland - and in the center. Weird. I also went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, which was pretty neat. I didn't leave the house early, so I didn't have enough time to get a new EZ Pass or visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I fully intend to do both in the near future though.

Cleveland seems to have a pretty robust metal scene and Peabody's definitely gets way more shows that Pittsburgh (or DC). Dagger Rebellion were the local openers and fortunately, unlike many I've witnessed, were actually really good. If I lived in Cleveland, I would be sure to check them out again.

Why have I not seen Carbomb before? They're LI math-metallers who have everything I like in a band: crazy drums, screaming, beards. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the tools in Tool shirts who were standing in front of me.

Was it really 2009 when I saw Gojira? I guess I spent too much of the past three years overseas but in places where they don't have concerts. They have a new album and luckily added a short string of dates in the US after the larger Lamb of God tour got cancelled. They played a pretty long set, pronounced Cleveland strangely, and were sold out of the best merch. 
Peabody's is pretty nice and I'd definitely check it out again, as long as I'm living within a 3-hour drive.

No comments: