Friday, February 27, 2009

Review: Witch 02.26.2009

#5
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Witch
Earthless
DC9

Again, where do these people hide out the rest of the time - the sewers? With the exception of that guy who spits beer on people, that guy who is always at DC9 who looks like GK, and this one couple next to me, I have never seen any of these people at any shows before.
I didn't know anything about these bands either, but this is my year to try new things and since Witch was compared to Pentagram in the blurb posted on the club's website and I like Witchcraft, I figured I would check it out.
After finally finding a parking spot, I got there for the last song of the first band and managed to weave my way over to the bar for a Brooklyn Brown Ale. Tasty. I do love the dark ales.

Anyway, Earthless is instrumental stoner-rock from San Diego. I thought they were really good and the whole upstairs was totally packed during their set. It's a good thing stoner-rock fans mainly just stand in one place and nod their heads, or it would have been very uncomfortable. I think the tarot card reader in Santa Barbara was right about me though.

Finally, Witch took the stage. I didn't bother to look up anything about them before the show (I like to be surprised) but they're a four-piece from VT. The first couple songs of their set sounded a little off (like off-time, not like "pitchy, dawg") but I don't know if that was a result of the sound system where I was standing or they really just needed some time to warm up. At any rate, I really enjoyed their set because while each song was definitely in a 70's heavy-rock vein, each song was a little different. [esp. appreciated after the Earthless set which was like one 30+ minute song] Doesn't hurt that their one guitarist looks like a (hopefully) non-violent Brent Hinds. I would definitely check them out again.

No comments: