Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Review: Coheed & Cambria 11.5-8.2008

#35 - #38
(#42 - #45 of Coheed)
Wednesday - Saturday, November 5 - 8, 2008
Coheed & Cambria
The Avalon
Hollywood, CA

This was the original second series of Neverender - later interrupted by the addition of Chicago shows and extended by adding London in December. The first night this time was opened by former guitar tech Angry Dave Gibney's band Chingalera. I had listened to their stuff on myspace before so I pretty much knew what to expect. Except for the face tattoos...can't explain why I find that so fascinating. Anyway, I thought they were OK but it was not really the kind of music I would sit around listening to unless I knew the guys in the band and was forced to because I had to pick up my VIP pass early and there was no re-entry into the club. At the end of their short set some kid in front of me yelled out "two more chords!" which was pretty funny.
Not to dis the NYC shows and crowd in any way, but I really enjoyed these Neverender shows a lot more. Maybe because the weather was nicer or the club was smaller or just the fact that I was in the middle of a real vacation this time.
The second night I was in a zone and after some drunk kid ruined that by plowing into me and almost knocking me over, I realized that I haven't actually had fun at a Coheed show since probably some time in 2005. Hmmm.
The third night I once again realized that I never listen to that album with the exceptions of Ten Speed and The Final Cut. And some military-type jackass said "they got females singing up there" and some other jackasses complained very loudly during Wake Up that only pussies like that song.
The final night I was trapped in the club for six hours (!) due to the timing of the sign-and-slide, which was followed by a 30 minute acoustic set [with very disappointed jackass yelling for The Trooper], Travis playing three Davenport Cabinet songs, and the full No World for Tomorrow album followed by the same Bob Dylan encore with special guest guitarist (Wayne Kramer from the MC5).
Other SoCal highlights - In-N-Out, friends, Universal Studios, PCH, sunsets.

No comments: