Sunday, October 26, 2008

Review: Coheed & Cambria 10.22-25.2008

#31 - #34 (#38 - #41 of Coheed)
Wednesday - Saturday, October 22 - 25, 2008
Coheed & Cambria
Terminal 5, NYC

I guess I should have probably written some notes or something since now I feel like I can't remember anything that happened over the last few days (thanks Bacardi!).
Anyway, this was a special series of shows [Neverender] where Coheed played each of their albums in its entirety for four nights total.
The first night was obviously Second Stage Turbine Blade. In general they had no openers but for the first night they had The Color Fred (well, just Fred) play a short acoustic set and talk about how he (in Breaking Pangea) had taken Coheed on their first tour and had also advised them not to call their first album by such a long name. Finally Coheed started and basically played the album straight through - including IRO-Bot - which was the only one of these songs that I hadn't heard live before. Then they played an encore "preview of things to come" which was actually just songs from the other albums. Okay.
The second night was my 65% of the time favorite album In Keeping Secrets. There was no opener, per say, but they did have Mic tell some rambling stories for a while. I couldn't understand a word he said though. I had a good view from the back bar on the main floor, although this view did not allow me to accomplish my second goal for this trip while simultaneously accomplishing the first. Claudio talked a little more about the songs and they of course did 21:13. And then they played some more songs from the other albums. Again. And stuff.
The third night was my least favorite album: Good Apollo. It was also my least favorite night at the club because I had a terrible sore throat and then some guys near me got in a fight so I got a beer spilled all over me so my left-half was wet for the second half of the set. I can't even remember what the encore was. Hmm.
The final night I guess you could say I accomplished my main goal, although the second goal was addressed but not satisfactorily (hey, it's performance review time you know). I didn't have either the VIP pass or the 4-day pass so I missed out on the acoustic show (I'll see it in LA though). Travis played a few acoustic opening songs as his (plus sometimes Claudio) alter-ego the Davenport Cabinet. I like the DC disc OK - still prefer English Panther though. I really thought this final night was the best show - everyone (band included) was really into it and it was just a lot of fun overall. For the encore they brought out a special guest and played some other song and I seriously remember very little of this right now. Also: Night of the Living Dead.
I will probably update this as flashes of memory return and also edit it so it's not so stream-of-consciousness style.
Other things I did in the city: walked a lot, stood around a lot, got my Kill Audio doll signed, ate pierogis, stocked up on jeans and mini canoli.
Special thanks to That Sandy for driving, understanding my stupid Coheed-related stories, and generally adding to my overall good time.
Here's an article about the final night: LINK
Posted by Picasa

No comments: