Sunday, August 07, 2005

Review: Coheed and Cambria 8/6/05

#23
August 6, 2005
Bebe
Coheed & Cambria
Aterciopelados
Latin Alternative Music Conference Summerstage NYC
Photo album

The hot hot weather gone for the weekend, I took the train up to NYC and met up with my friend BB (who can usually be found roaming the streets of Petersburg) for a free concert in Central Park. We didn't get there as early as planned but I guess it was better that way since we didn't have to stand in the sun so long. I think that without Coheed there would have been about 2/3 less people there.

Up first was Spainish pop/rock singer-songwriter Bebe. I thought she was pretty cool, although it was pretty sad that I couldn't understand most of what she said and sang until she put on a blonde wig and did some kind of anti-Bush thing with an American accent. Clearly the Spanish in the corners of my mind is not enough to actually figure out anything beyond bus ads... I did like the fact that her drummer played a wooden box when he wasn't playing the drum kit.

Is 20 times too many to see a band? Not to me (obviously) but BB now thinks I'm in some kind of cult. Anyway, I HAD to go to this show because according to the press release this was "a one time only event that is a must see for true fans." They had a special guest percussionist who was pretty cool (and was not who I thought it was going to be so...bleah) even though I don't really think he added that much. I mean, 3.5/4 of Coheed is about as Latin as I am. Anyway...
They played a great set and were much more 'on' than I have seen them in a long time. They played 3 new songs from the upcoming GAIBSIV VI:FTTEOM - Welcome Home and The Final Cut (both played at Music Midtown) and what is (according to some smarty on the Coheed board who 'knows people') the bonus track Monstar in Flames. They also played Favor House and Blood Red Summer (of course), Devil in Jersey City (the Scion-Ara theme song), and Velourium Camper I & II, which OK... I guess for a general audience that was probably a good set. I did get some video - the opener Welcome Home and the jam at the end of The Final Cut which was the closer. One thing that I was very happy about was that Josh did the 'coo coo cachoo' part on Faint of Hearts...I think the last time they actually bothered to do all the backing vocals was way back in Coheed week '04 when Mitch was playing the cowbell on that song.

I stuck around for part of Aterciopelados, mostly to keep an eye out for hot Columbian men (which there were several). I didn't really like them much - it was kind of folky Dave Mathews kind of stuff. Apparently they are quite popular though. Edited to add that I did see the Mars Volta guys (as reported on the Coheed board)...I knew that I recognized them from somewhere...

I didn't really do anything else in the city. Most of the places I used to go no longer exist and I was hot and slightly sunburned and tired. I spent a bunch of money at Ricky's (I bought yet another Loop NYC bag) and then just basically waited for my train home. Hopefully I'll get back up to the city again soon and actually plan better in the future.

No comments: