Monday, August 31, 2009

Crime-Camera Extravaganza: Coheed 50 & 51

#45 (50th of Coheed)
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Coheed & Cambria
Crocodile Rock
Allentown, PA

I had no idea the blue-lighted crime cameras were so prevalent outside of DC and Baltimore. Although I can see why both of these cities have them: I made a note not to wear shoes with laces in Allentown, just in case. Outside the club in Buffalo, some plain-clothes cops were talking about how someone should have known what was going to get them stabbed. Yikes.

Anyway, I was super-excited about Coheed 50 though I probably shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it since I missed the first third of the show due to traffic (it took an extra hour to get to Allentown). It was like Hamburg all over again (at least I got inside the club) . What I did hear was great, of course, although very predictable. The ceiling was dripping with something (hopefully it was just condensation) and everyone was very, very sweaty. I got the set list from the sound guy (forgot his name about 1/2 second after he told me) and got out of there as quickly as I could.

#46 (51st of Coheed)
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Coheed & Cambria
Town Ballroom
Buffalo, NY

The Town Ballroom in Buffalo was pretty nice and if I'd gotten there earlier I probably could had a better place to stand, but the door staff wouldn't let me bring my camera in and that took up most of the extra time I'd left myself. So I spent much of the show viewing the band through the camera phone screens of the two little princesses in front of me (I seriously hope those guys were their dads, not their dates, but I don't know how y'all roll in the Queen City). At any rate, they played the same set as Allentown although they did seem to be having a good time on stage. Oh, and I Googled the cover song.

So, now I've got to find something to do until Coheed tours again after their new album comes out sometime next year. [As much as I'd like to go back to WA for other reasons, I can't make it to their Puyallup Fair show on Wednesday 9/16. I'm also very sorry to miss the Austin City Limits Fest, because I'll be in Baghdad.]

No comments: