Sunday, August 23, 2009

Coheed 49 w/Heaven and Hell 08.23.2009

#44
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Heaven & Hell
Coheed & Cambria
Merriweather Post Pavilon

Ugh, outdoor shows are not my favorite. At least the weather was better than the past week or so - with slightly less typical August heat and humidity. I got there pretty early since MPP starts their shows on time. Coheed played for about 50 minutes, focusing on the heaviest songs in their oeuvre - No World, Gravemakers, IKSSE, Ten Speed, End Complete w/Trooper medley, Al the Killer (!), Welcome Home, and The Final Cut. It was OK - kinda petered out there in the middle, but I'm not sure why. The Final Cut was great with the "self-indulgent prog wankery" including the theremin, talk box, and Claudio playing guitar with a drumstick (not the ice cream or poultry variety).
My friend just sent me the new Heaven and Hell album but they didn't cover too much new material, though they did do Fear which I thought was the best track. Their stage set was pretty cool - it looked like it was decorated for my friends' Halloween party with huge gargoyles and chains and gazing ball thingys and a screen that looks like lightning. Not too much to say about these guys since they're so amazing (and magical). They played an extra-long version of Heaven and Hell and Neon Knights was the encore so I left satisfied.
I may also have to look into getting a new camera because the one I viewed most of the show though was freakin sweet (the guy held it up the whole time).

No comments: