Sunday, August 09, 2009

Clutch 08.08.09

#41
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Clutch
Lionize
Caverns
Sonar

Ms. Ch and I had the distinct privilege of taking a young English lass to her first concert ever! I think she liked it even though it was very hot, sweaty and crowded. I have definitely been to sold-out shows at Sonar before but I think this was the most uncomfortable one. It doesn't help when people spill beer all over your legs and talk smack about how they're going to beat up the opening bands (which always seems to happen at Clutch shows).
Speaking of being threatened, DC's own Caverns started out the show with a fairly lengthy set of their heavy piano rock. I enjoyed it and definitely would not beat them up in the parking lot afterwards.
Moving farther north, Silver Spring's Lionize put on a great set. I really enjoyed them and didn't hear any threats since they sound much more like Clutch than Caverns does.
Finally, the mightly Clutch in all their bearded glory came out. Had I been alone, I would have definitely fled to the perimeter much earlier but since I was with two other ladies, I felt like I should stand my ground behind the two tallest dudes in the club. Anyway, Clutch played a pretty long set for their home-state crowd and my two favorite songs were near the beginning. We didn't stay until the bitter end because after you've given hundreds of incidental lapdances for no tips and you're all sticky from other people's spilled beer it's not quite as appealing no matter what the lead singer looks like. Still, had a great time in my favorite city. Iggie's Pizza is awesome! Now I'm off to post my missed-connections ad for that beardo in the gray t-shirt (who unfortunately did not grope me at all).
Here's a video of the show:
Pure Rock Fury

No comments: