Sunday, March 29, 2009

Review: TYR 03.27.2009

#12
Friday, March 27, 2009
TYR
Alestorm
SuidAkrA

? from Newark, DE
Sonar

I got there plenty early because this was not a main-stage show so I wasn't sure what time it would actually start. As it turns out, I probably could have showed up about an hour later. The local opener added to this show was actually pretty good - although they were a death metal band, not folk metal. Even though they had quite a bit of stage banter going, I never caught their name but they're playing at a Jaxx battle of the bands in the near future.

SuidAkrA is from Germany and plays Celtic-tinged metal. And two of them were wearing costume-y bondage wear type stuff and the other two were just wearing jeans and t-shirts. Weird. It was one of their birthdays so they had the well-bearded sound guy bring a flaming cake on stage and made everybody sing happy birthday. I thought they were OK, but I've never been into Celtic-tinged anything. Apparently I inherited the wrong Irish/Scottish genes.

I was pretty interested to see Alestorm since I love metal songs about pirates and they're a pirate metal band (from Scotland). Also they have a keytar and crazy hair, although I could understand them (as opposed to other Scots I've known). I thought their set was pretty fun although I wish I had been drinking and it was in a different venue. Also, the keytar was no longer fun after about a song and a half.

Finally, the biggest (only?) Faroese band in the world, TYR. I really like them and they came out wearing armor which was a plus (no swords though). While their songs are generally pretty straightforward metal, sung in both English and Faroese, they also do a cover of the traditional song Wild Rover. Which was my cue to leave: I can't fucking stand that shit (like I said, wrong genes). I think I managed to make it through one more song to cleanse my brain of the Wild Rover but by then my body was giving out on me so I had to leave before TYR was over. Hopefully I'll see TYR again in a more comfortable venue and I'll take a bathroom break during any Irish drinking songs.

No comments: