Monday, November 26, 2007

Review: Coheed & Cambria 11.25.2007

#35
Sunday November 25 2007
Coheed & Cambria
Clutch
The Fall of Troy
9:30 Club

I got there really early (way before doors) so I wouldn't miss The Fall of Troy, whom I haven't seen since Dudestorm 2005. They've played DC a few times since then but I was never able to make it, so I was fine with standing in the cold before 7pm. Their 30 minute set was tight and there were definitely a few fans of theirs up front for support.
I hadn't seen Clutch before (though I had heard of them) and I will probably check them out again in the future. I was talking to a kid who went to their New Year's Eve show last year and said they played for at least two hours, just jamming. Plenty of Baltimore folks in attendance (saw only a few neck tattoos though).
This being my 35th viewing of Coheed & Cambria, I don't really know what to say about their set, except that it was one of the longest I've seen - almost two hours. It was Travis's birthday and they seemed to be having a good time on stage. For this tour they have a huge city set on stage, two backing singers (who were too loud for most of the show), and an unlit keyboard player tucked in the corner behind Travis. The first few songs were OK but I thought Claudio was leaving too much of the vocals to the backup singers and the crowd. He was more energetic after a few songs though, so it didn't seem like he was sick or anything. They played mostly the same set as in NYC, though with a few more new songs thrown in. It was good to hear 'Junesong Provision' since I couldn't remember the last time I'd heard that one live. They did the same Everything Evil-Trooper (w/Travis vocals) medley that I've seen before. As I recall there were only a few songs from GAIBSIV, which was probably a wise choice. By the end of the show, I had a terrible earache but that wasn't the band's fault.

Here's a WaPo review

No comments: