Monday, August 07, 2006

OH the INsanity Aug 3 - 4, 2006

OK so I came up with the title before I went, but it's still clever...

#35
Thursday August 3 2006
Coheed and Cambria
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Chiodos
3
Lifestyle Communities Pavilion, Columbus OH

Since we were still in the midst of the hottest temps in about 5 years, I left my house before 5am to avoid driving at the hottest part of the day (and the traffic). I had a car overheat on me once and I didn't want it to happen to my Scion Ara. I took a different route than I ever have and drove up through the mountains of Maryland, through Morgantown WV, and connected with interstate 70 in Washington PA. It was a nice drive but driving a 4-cylinder up those steep grades was not the most fun task, particularly since my right foot/ankle is still hurting from when I fell in the parking garage more than a week ago. I did however stop at that gas station in Quaker, OH with the best Italian sandwiches evah! The venue is right on the edge of downtown Columbus and wasn't too tough to find. Especially since there was already a line outside at 2pm when I drove by the first time. Crazy kids. I couldn't convince anyone to come with me, but it really didn't matter because I had my 3 boys (w/Max, yay!), Gentleman Jim and friend, and my beloved roadcrew (minus Kwame and Gabe *sigh*). I never got the full story on the Mic/Josh issue but I think that my suspicions are pretty much correct.
By the time I met up with Billy it was too late to get anything to eat before the show (and the venue only had White Castle). I have to say that the security people worked pretty fast - the line that stretched around the building and down the street under a bridge was almost completely gone by 6:45. The place was pretty big - with two levels in the main part and a balcony that has fancy 'box seats' near the railing. Of course those were the only seats in the place (which is another part of the reason my foot/ankle is still bothering me) and the floors were concrete. I was quite surprised that this show was not sold out. I don't know if it was just the time of year or something else (the Indy show was also not sold out).
3 played a brief set of songs from the Metal Blade 'Wake Pig' plus 'D Ripper' - by the end they were definintely crowd pleasers. Jerry Eppard Rocks!
Chiodos (chee-o-dos) I had heard before since they're an Equal Vision band. I thought they were good but I stand by my previous statements regarding those keyboard bands.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingAh, The Dilliner Escape Plan. Love them. They always put on a good show, all destruction and flames aside. Found out from talking to Greg that he a) lives in Baltimore (which explains why I've seen him around various times) and b) Dillinger got fined and banned from KC's. There wasn't much destruction on the stage (Greg threw one cymbal and the light box) but apparently there was some backstage drama and their guitar player quit and flew home. Their bass player has a serious beard going on. Damn fine. I should have bought that Avenged Sevenfold lunchbox...
I don't know if this show represents a new era of Coheed or the end of an era or what. I obviously had to be there since they were playing with 3 and as moral support for MP. It was a fairly short set, but it was tight. With the fog machine going you couldn't even see who was the drummer until well into the 3rd song. Apparently those without internet were quite upset by the subs, though Claudio tried to smooth things over with a non-explanation about 'dealing with the situation that we were forced to deal with.' Long-time fans (such as Gentleman Jim and the 3 guys) thought it was the best 'Final Cut' evah!
After the show I checked out Dave's new tattoo, chatted with everybody, and took my 3 boys out for breakfast.

*free hotel stay in Columbus followed by 3 hour drive to Indianapolis*

#36
Friday August 4 2006
Coheed and Cambria
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Murat Center, Indianapolis IN

I got there late because I left Bloomington a little later than planned and spent at least 40 minutes back-tracking and looking for the correct exit. Once I found the I-70 westbound only exit for Michigan Street, the Murat Center was easy to find. I parked for free because I guess they stop taking your money after a certain time, which was nice. The venue was gorgeous - it's a restored Masonic Shrine that's almost 100 years old. The Egyptian room delivers what it promises - there's a tile mosaic of Egyptian scenes around the top of the room with large (false fabric) columns on two sides. Half the room was carpet and there were chairs (thank god!) so it was easier on my injured leg.
I was very sad that I missed 3, though I heard they played the same songs. Cheetos I didn't miss in the longing sense, only in the non-viewing sense.
Due to the previous night's drama, The Dillinger Escape Plan was down to just the guitar tech on guitar. It still sounded great, but the sound wasn't quite as full. Liam's beard was still fine.
OK, I'm not just saying this: this was a Top 10 Coheed show. Seriously. Set was tight, crowd was rockin out. Fucking amazing. I would say it was my favorite live 'Suffering' ever.
After the show I got to hang out backstage like the groupie I am, so that was awesome too. I was thinking I should get someone to take my picture sitting on the couch between Travis and Claudio, but I think it was just too fangirl.

I had a fun weekend with Miss L, whom I haven't seen since she threw off the shackels of non-profit life for the down-and-out lifestyle of a graduate student. The drive back wasn't too bad. I stopped several times, including a stop in Columbus for dinner with my aunt, which was nice. Yet another sign that I'm getting old: I like Mallo Cups now.

Miles driven: ~1,300
Best gas mileage achived: ~41 mpg
Merch acquired: new 3 sticker and unicorned DEP shirt
Revenge of the Nerds songs sung by Billy that Travis wants to make into Fire Deuce songs: 1

No comments: