Sunday, May 21, 2006

Coheed 31 - when will it ever end?

#22
Saturday, May 20, 2006
Coheed & Cambria
Avenged Sevenfold
Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC

OK. Met up with my friend J, which was nice since we haven't really seen each other much lately. We headed over to Curry Hill for some tasty Indian food (the lentils were awesome). For some reason the doors for this show were at 5:30, so after buying some fancy earplugs, we went over there about 7-ish to see what was going on. Fortunately, this time we didn't have to suffer through Eighteen Visions (not even once), so thank goodness for small favors.
We did end up standing around through all of A7X, though, but whatever. I was looking around and spotted Billy & Joey up in the balcony. Billy came down to say HI, which was cool. Then we saw Gentleman Jim in the sound booth, so we switched sides so we could talk to him.
Coheed was really in top form - this set was filmed for the making of a DVD. The staging looked awesome and there was even a special new thing - a giant dragonfly on a zipline that 'flew' over the crowd. Oh, and the guillotine was back (it was noticebly absent on Sunday).

There was a short film someone had made about Fluffy (the bat-skull thing) that was pretty funny.

After the show, we hit one of J's favorite cheap bars and had some food with his friends. Later, a non-exhaustive search for Coheed turned up Josh, Travis and girlfriend, the neck tattooed members of A7X, and that photographer dude I met two years ago in Jersey. I never did find my favorite roadcrew [seriously, I haven't seen MP since Munich], which was kind of sad. Much like in the Europe, I took a train back to DC that was supposed to leave at 3am (actual departure time 3:27). Overall a pretty exhausting 1/2 day trip, but well worth it.

Oh, and like one thing I almost forgot about - in the subway this guy told me that I "look like a caucasian Beyonce, miss." That's probably the best damn complement I've ever received. Especially since if I could look like any celebrity, it would totally be Beyonce (she's smokin hot).

No comments: