Friday, February 04, 2005

Retro-review-a-palooza: Four dozen and three shows I've known and loved, 1/2004 -12/2004

Since February is boring, I'm going to use this time to reflect on the shows I saw last year (much like Thoreau, who definitely would have been into the straightedge-vegan hardcore scene). Needless to say I wish I had started this blog about 10 months ago...I'll be editing this for a while but I just wanted to put it out there.
*updated 3/25/05*

#1
Jan 30, 2004

Senses Fail/Moneen/Boys Night Out
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

This was probably only the 4th or 5th time I'd ever been to Baltimore. I think I took the Flexcar that time... I actually don't remember much about this show except chatting with Ben (former BNO drummer) at the bar about their Sept 2003 show there with Coheed and Cambria (BNO was, by their own admission, awful that night) and about Coheed's performance the night before on the Jimmy Kimmel show (which I hadn't seen - thanks ABC 7). I completely missed BNO that night and only saw one song by Moneen (other crazy Canadians). Senses Fail put on a decent show as I recall, but they make me feel really old.

#2
Feb 7, 2004

Verbal
Common Grounds, Arlington VA

Verbal are my homies and I always enjoy their performances. I think this may have been one of the first times they played with guitarist/graphic designer extrordinaire Frank. Common Grounds was a cool place - big coffee place with a performance/art space on the second floor, but sadly it is no more...(hee, that rhymes)

#3
Feb 15, 2004

Dillinger Escape Plan/Soilent Green
House of Blues (The Parish), New Orleans, LA

This was kind of a funny show for a couple reasons. Dillinger is just a crazy live band - how many people can crowd surf (face-down, I might add) and keep playing the guitar? There was a yuppie-looking couple in front of us in line and even the ticket-taker said "those people ain't gonna like this music" but then later we saw the woman crowd surfing. Awesome! I didn't enjoy Soilent Green so much - probably because I couldn't hear anything at all. Everything was so loud and there was so much bass you couldn't tell one song from another. The sound was a little better for Dillinger and some guy yelled out "Play for 2 hours!" when they came out and then at the end he yelled out "Hey, I said to play for 2 hours!" (which I have tried to work into my heckling routine) I also loved their skinny shaggy merch dude, who crowd-surfed wearing a slip and smeared lipstick. Double awesome! The Parish at HOB was OK, but the sound mix was crappy.

#4
Feb 16, 2004

Mistress of Reality
The Howlin' Wolf, New Orleans, LA

All-female Black Sabbath tribute act. What else can I say? Oh yeah, the Howlin' Wolf was featured in an episode of Missy Elliot's 'Road to Stardom' (it's on UPN, but it's cool - really!) and it looked a lot cleaner on tv.

#5
Feb 28, 2004

36 Crazyfists/Billy Club Sandwich/Scheduled Beating/Mickey's Crew/about 8 other hardcore bands with fight or fist in their names
The Sidebar, Baltimore, MD

I really wish I could remember the line-up for this show because it was the greatest line-up (based on band names alone) of all time. Other than Billy Club Sandwich (the singer brandished a billy club), the other bands were almost indistinguishable. However I did talk to a cool person and there were neck-tattoos-a-plenty. It was a good 'old school' hardcore show. One of the Verbalists calls the Sidebar "the dive-iest dive" (there are exposed pipes in the ceiling and Natty Boh is $1.25/can).

forgotten show #49
mae/Copeland
The Masquerade, Atlanta, GA

I don't remember the exact date but I was in Atlanta on a business trip in early March and happened to see this tour which I'd missed when it came through DC. Copeland are natives of the ATL so there was a pretty big crowd for them. About half of the people left before headliners (and Norfolk natives) mae came on. Mae put on a rockin' show and their keyboard player is most entertaining - dancing like crazy most of the time rather than playing the keyboards (though still much more effective than Underoath's keyboardist who just holds down one key for the whole set).

#6
March 8, 2004

Verbal
The Velvet Lounge, Washington DC

Speaking of Verbalists and dives...
Verbal was cool. I didn't watch any of the other bands because it got too late and it was a Monday night. Our visiting Russian colleague thoroughly enjoyed it. The Velvet Lounge is a weird venue - it's really tiny with terrible acoustics (it's like being in an attic) and there's no place to sit. And the drinks aren't even cheap!

#7
March 22, 2004

Thrice/Poison the Well/Vaux/Moments in Grace
The Ottobar, Baltimore, MD

Aaah, Thrice...delicious. That was my 5th time seeing them and it was cool to see them in such an intimate venue. Now, some people will tell you that Poison the Well was many times better than Thrice, but PtW just doesn't do it for me. I don't know...they're a good band but I'm just not into them. Vaux on the other hand, rock my socks off. I actually apologized to them for not liking them the first time I saw them (w/Mr. W.K.). Well worth taking the day off of work to get there extra early...

#8
March 23, 2004

Armor for Sleep/Bane/Liar's Academy/Silent Drive
The Ottobar, Baltimore, MD

I think that's the right line-up...it was an Equal Vision Records tour date. I like all these bands, but Armor for Sleep make me feel really old because the singer is younger than my brother. Bane has a crazy hardcore following and Silent Drive is their melodic-alter-ego. Liar's Academy is from Baltimore and didn't really impress me.

#9 - #14
April 12 - 17, 2004

Coheed week
Coheed & Cambria/Rainer Maria/Funeral for a Friend/Brazil
NorVa, Norfolk, VA
9:30 Club, Washington DC
Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA
The Palladium, Worchester, MA
Skate & Surf Fest 2004, Asbury Park, NJ

Since everyone reading this already knows the story of this decent into madness in a Mitsubishi, I'll just cover the talking points for future reference (I just used "talking points" in a sentence - can you tell I live in DC?)
  • scary screaming Claudio-stalking kids (Norfolk)
  • hot Welshmen (all week!)
  • driving in the rain (all week)
  • the most irritating sound in the world (Philly)
  • picking out my car (DC)
  • getting the Claudio-graph (MA)
  • nasty motels (NJ)
  • hanging out in a bar with Mike from Co&Ca and Matt Pinfield (!) (NJ)
  • Mark from Bear vs. Shark playing the keyboard with his entire body (NJ)
  • severe sunburn (see above)
  • the Brothers of Decadence "secret show" (NJ)
[other bands I saw at SnS: Eighteen Visions, Sugarcult, Monster Squad, Funeral for a Friend, Brazil, an acoustic Fred and Adam from Taking Back Sunday, Morrison Poe, Andrew W.K., Van Stone, Folly, Piebald, probably others...the first day was a blur]

#15
April 18, 2004

Avenged Sevenfold/Funeral for a Friend/My Chemical Romance
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

Severely sunburned and still sleep deprived I went to one last show in my Mitsubishi rental car because I absolutely fell in love with the Funeral for a Friend guys on my crazy Coheed week. I love 'em, love 'em, love 'em. PS: Avenged Sevenfold is hott!
And I just remembered that I also saw My Chemical Romance at this show and talked to them about pierogies and New Jersey. Good times...

#16
April 27, 2004

Senses Fail
9:30 Club, Washington DC

Yeah, I went to this show...you wanna fight about it?

#50? I just remembered that I also saw Verbal at the Galaxy Hut (Arlington VA) at some point last year but I forgot exactly when - I think it might have around this time (it was definitely before the Brazil show because otherwise I wouldn't have talked about tGH w/J). It was a Monday night anyway and the band that played after them had a barefoot keyboardist/bassist who kept getting electrical shocks from their extension cords. The best thing about the Galaxy Hut is that they serve Abita Rootbeer. Yum.

#51 May
Alchemy Goth Prom
Genitorturers
Pitbull Daycare
Nation, Washington DC

I was reminded of this show last night because I was afraid to move from the front of the stage due to lack of audience interest, just like when I saw Pitbull Daycare. PD was pretty good - neck tattoos, industrial music. Genitorturers are more performance art than rock-and-roll but definitely an interesting experience. I was happy that I finally got to wear my red vinyl dress in an appropriate environment. Nation is OK. Kind of a pain in the ass to get there from my house though.


#17
May 21, 2004

Brazil/Ruebens Accomplice/Karmella's Game
The Ottobar, Baltimore, MD

The first show I went to in Scion Ara. Karmella's Game was enjoyable - their frontwoman reminded me of Missy and their outfits reminded me of Jim from Weston (50's styles). [Their website is cute too - click the link above.] Ruebens Accomplice not so enjoyable musically (for me anyway) but the singer looked like Jeff Goldblum. I befriended Jonathan from Brazil and we talked about the Galaxy Hut and the Palladium and Bear vs. Shark.

#18
May 26, 2004

From Autumn to Ashes/Atreyu/Eighteen Visions/Anterrabae
9:30 Club, Washington DC

Unpronouncable Anterrabae was pretty OK. Eighteen Visions are hott! but were also jerks to me (and I will never forgive them! Never!). After 18V were jerks to me, I didn't enjoy Atreyu or FATA, though I like them both. I wore my neck-tattoo shirt for nothing...jerks.

#19
June 21, 2004

Across Five Aprils/Still Remains/too many crappy local bands
The Scarlet Theater, Glassport, PA

I've already referenced this show in the AFA review from Jan 05...they were without their frontman and played four songs. Still Remains opened with a group prayer and then rocked the shit out of the place with their four songs. And they were cute. Then I got lost for over two hours in Pittsburgh and just drove back to DC because I couldn't find my brother's house. But the show was good.

#20
July 9, 2004

Agnostic Front/Most Precious Blood/two other bands I can't remember
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

I've also referenced MPB before, and this was the show that started it all. Agnostic Front I've seen more than a dozen times and they always put on a great show. Very loyal hardcore fans in the Charm City.

#21
July 15, 2004

Lost Prophets/crap-rock openers
9:30 Club, Washington DC

I love the Lost Prophets and all hot Welsh musicians of the world. Unlike most of the crowd (stupid frat boys), I even own the first album. Lost Prophets played almost every song they've ever recorded and they never stopped a'rockin' - great live band. They were funny on the radio too (I always listen to the request lunch).

*then I was in Russia for three weeks when I missed Dillinger Escape Plan, Billy Club Sandwich, and Coheed and the day after I got home there was an ill-fated drive to the Ottobar when I didn't have a ticket and couldn't get in*

#22
August 10, 2004

Funeral for a Friend/Snoop Dog/other bands I don't care for
Projekt Revolution package tour
Nissan Pavilion, Bristow, VA

This proves I would go anywhere to see FFAF, who headlined the second stage while everyone else was watching The Used on the main stage. I endeared myself with a huge bottle of vodka I brought back from Russia. Snoop is a pimp. I was still jet-lagged from my trip and then I sat out in the sun all day and had to buy $4 bottled water with no cap. Nissan Pavilion sucks and this ticket was too damn expensive.

#23
August 13, 2004

Prince
MCI Center, Washington DC

Prince is the man. The set was almost 3 hours! Not really a bad seat in the house, though we were pretty far away. He isn't playing a lot of the older stuff (the *dirty* songs) but it was still great.

#24
August 17, 2004

Sick of It All/Terror
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

Even though Armand called me out for wiping my face with my hanky (it was hot in there, dammit!) this was an awesome show. Terror makes me laugh because they take themselves so seriously but they kick serious ass too, so no complaints here. PS: Carl is hott!

#25
August 20, 2004
Bear vs. Shark/Codeseven
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

This was the Liar's Academy cd release show, though I didn't bother to actually stick around for LA (I got a free cd though). Bear vs. Shark is so so great...maracas and all. Codeseven was freakin brilliant and I have subsequently become a huge fan of them as well.

#26
August 27, 2004

Lamb of God/Atreyu/Every Time I Die
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

Lamb of God=awesome. Huge drum kit. This was an off-date show for all these bands that were on the Ozzfest tour. I had a nice conversation with Marc and Travis from Atreyu about their fall (then upcoming) tour with FFAF and their previous tour with FATA. Every Time I Die are crazy cool.

#27
Sept 22, 2004

Love is Red/Suffocate Faster/Diamonds in the Rough
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

At first I couldn't remember what this show was, but now it's all coming back to me. This was the first time I ever saw any of these bands. Heavy hardcore. The guitarist from Bury Your Dead was acting as merch guy for Suffocate Faster. mmm....tattoos

#28
Sept 27, 2004

Throwdown/Norma Jean/Fear Before the March of Flames
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

I had to look this one up too. I was soooo excited to see Throwdown but they were very disappointing live. Norma Jean reminds me of Dillinger Escape Plan. I missed much of FBtMoF set because I wasn't paying attention to my driving and got there late.

#29
Sept 29, 2004

Vaux/three other bands I didn't get to see
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

This was the night that there were FOUR separate accidents between me and Baltimore (I95 North was completely closed in two places) and I missed everything but Vaux even though I left earlier than usual. There were only about 6 paying customers there and yet Vaux put up their light show and rocked out. Picked up the Codeseven cd a couple weeks before it's official release (from the band) and started playing it once a day.

#30
Oct 5, 2004

Brazil/Emery/From First to Last
The Ottobar, Baltimore MD

Brazil - awesome (count how many times I saw them in 2004). Emery is pretty good for "one of those keyboard bands." From First to Last was really impressive and make me feel really really old (the singer is in high school).

#31 - #33
Oct 9-11, 2004

Coheed weekend I
Coheed & Cambria/Underoath/3
The Canal Club, Richmond, VA
9:30 Club, Washington DC

Canal Club - kinda sucky venue but much of it was under renovations due to hurricane-related flood damage. Richmond people were a lot of fun though. 3 was awesome. Made up of five great musicians, I don't think the Coheed crowd was really ready for what they're bringing (though there were some nice comments on the usually-bitchy Coheed board saying that 3 "wiped the floor" with the other bands). 3 has a very eccelectic sound - everything from extended percussion solos to flamenco guitar to arabesque vocals. Plus they're super-nice guys (cute too!) Underoath is "one of those keyboard bands" and I'll say no more about them. Coheed played for 1 hour and 40 minutes the first night. Had an interesting conversation with Josh about Skate and Surf and he signed my hoodie. Showed Claudio/Travis/Chuck the hoodie (they all liked it & Travis signed it) - learned that Claudio can use the term "embroidered" properly. Met some hot chick who was all into Coheed - met a bunch of hot guys who thought she was a close personal friend of mine (which was the only reason they talked to me). Talked to Matt Pinfield (!) again - he eventually figured out that we'd spoken in April. Finally heard "Hearshot Kid Disaster" live - that was the song that started this whole Coheed obsession in the first place.

#34
Oct 17, 2004
Coheed weekend II
Coheed & Cambria/Underoath/3
The Electric Factory, Philly

The Electric Factory is OK. I like the 21+ balcony. I actually had a seat right on the rail, closer to the stage than the kids on the floor. 3 - still awesome. Underoath - no comment. Coheed - scaled back the show from the three opening dates. They can do no wrong.

#35
Oct 23, 2004
Minstry/My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult/Hanzel und Gretyl
Thunderdome, Baltimore MD

Great great show. Fun companions. One of the biggest anti-Bush rallies I've been to - definitely the drunkest crowd. The Thunderdome just wants you to DRINK! They have three bars plus four beer stations where they sell bottles out of big tubs of ice plus roving shot waitresses - in a club that holds less than 1,000 people. I recently saw Al Jourgensen's real-life hat in the Experience Music Project costume display. TKK was just OK. HuG was pretty cool - still not sure if that's a dude...I guess it is.

#36
Oct 28, 2004
The Black Dahlia Murder/Terror
The Ottobar, Baltimore, MD

The Black Dahlia Murder is pretty good but they sound like so many other bands. I was mostly fascinated with them because the singer does both the screaming and the growling vocals. Terror was even better...Carl - still hott! I did almost pass out though because I was sick and I had to lean against the car when I was getting gas on the way home because I could barely stand.

#37
October 31, 2004
Green Day/New Found Glory/Sugarcult
GMU Patriot Center, Fairfax, VA

This was the biggest, loudest, and longest anti-Bush rally I've been to. After this I lost my voice for over a week and discovered I had tonsilitis. Green Day played for almost 2 hours and had pyro and lights and all kinds of stuff. Really great live band. Cannot stand the singer's voice from NFG. Sugarcult are inoffensive, pop-punk. Did I mention I won these tickets on the radio?

#38
Nov 10, 2004
Atreyu/Funeral for a Friend/Nora
The NorVa, Norfolk

Ferret Records Carl needs to give me a job. Atreyu - awesome. Marc. Much love. FFAF. More love. Nora, less love but could be more if Carl would give me a damn job. Had the distinct pleasure of meeting Ms. J and Ms. C who have seen FFAF just as many times as me and love them even more than me. Cool chicks. Norfolk smells funny.

#39
Nov 19, 2004
3 Inches of Blood
Jaxx, Springfield VA

In spite of their slogan and web address, Jaxx suxx. Big props to the local band who gave me a ticket to this show - even though now I can't remember their name (I'll figure it out eventually, hopefully - it was Krass Judgement from Manassas VA - thanks Jaxx bathroom graffiti!). 3IoB are stupendous. Wonderful. Groin-grabbingly good. I want the screamer guy to record my voice mail message....Heeelllllooooo!!!

#40 - #41
Nov 20 - 21, 2004
Coheed weekend III
Coheed & Cambria/Underoath/3
The Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte NC
The NorVa, Norfolk VA

Coming soon: an ode to 3. Coming never: an ode to the Tremont Music Hall (the name is misleading on so many levels). With the assistance of Joe C and Claudio, finally got Mic to sign the hoodie. Kwame too! I still like the NorVa. I also love donuts at 4 am.

#42
Nov 23, 2004
Atreyu
9:30 Club, Washington DC

Darran got us in for free but FFAF didn't play due to Matt being in the hospital all day. Atreyu was great and I got my pic taken with a shirtless-Alex. Yummy.

#43
Nov 28, 2004
Atreyu/Funeral for a Friend/Like Yesterday
The Electric Factory, Philadelphia PA

Like Yesterday? Wuh? I don't get the appeal. FFAF was great - Brandon from Atreyu sang one of their songs with Matt (whose voice is "fucked" as we know from my Seattle post). Atreyu was great and were nice enough to pretend to remember me. Marc. Love. Makes me think of an old Weston song... After this show I watched Love Drug in a bar around the corner. They were pretty good. Adam from Taking Back Sunday is really tall and I see why he makes the girlies go wild (though not me, personally). Finally told Ed from TBS about my cross-PA drive in the back of a truck with him and his old band. I don't know if I'd want to be 19 again, but it's nice to do things I did when I was 19 and have more money and a car.

#44
Nov 30, 2004
Verbal
Blackcat, Washington DC

Verbal! Again! Woo-hoo! Blackcat Boo!

#45
December 1, 2004
Hatebreed/Terror/Full Blown Chaos/crappy-ass local bands
Jaxx, Springfield VA

Neck tattoos woo! Nowhere to park boo! I hung around in the other room near Terror for a while but I just couldn't get up the nerve to actually speak to them (Carl is hott!). No Warning missed this show...I didn't miss them. Love is Red was supposed to be on this tour too, but they didn't play either. Hmmm. Picked up a Terror shirt. Several Ottobar hardcore show regulars were in the front with me. Cool people. Hatebreed is hatebreed, ya know. I still think Jamey Jasta looks 14. Jaxx still totally suxx and I hate them. Bleh.

#46
Dec 5, 2004
.hopesfall. - see Retro-review post from Jan

#47
Dec 6, 2004
3/Tears of Mars
Fletcher's, Baltimore MD

98 Rock "Noise in the Basement" show. The 3 love, she is great. Tears of Mars are local high schoolers - this was their first gig ever! They've got a lot of potential. I really enjoyed the singer's voice and their meaningful lyrics (nice to hear songs that aren't "about...a girl")

#48
Dec 22, 2004
Verbal
DC9, Washington DC

Verbal! Again! Other people. Beer!

What a year...thousands of miles, thousands of dollars, thousands of hours of music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are these really ALL the shows you went to last year? Are there any that you wouldn't WANT to post because you are ashamed that you attended them? (I have that problem because I get stuck going to things like Prog Power USA (which is more like a bi-mon-sci-fi-con than a metal festival) AND I saw a lot of HORRIBLE local crap when I lived in NOLA.)

Does that hardcore show we went to at 9:30 Club count as last year or was that December 2003? Really, if you wanted to go year-year exactly and the last show you went to was Dec 22 2004, you could count Dec 23-31 2003. It might put you up to the show-per-week goal...

I don't know if we have enough tix stubs, but I think all of the readers of this blog should post their 2004 show attendance info too --- especially because(according to that test) some of us are REAL music nerds!

deathmetalroze